To pin or not-to-pin? Let's be honest—pinterest holds many gems, but pieces of coal can oftentimes be found hiding among the jewels. The purpose of this blog is to help you determine which pins are worth trying at home, and which ones you should probably avoid. I have designated myself as the guinea pig. Now your experimental pinning days can be worry-free! Happy Pinning!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Reeses Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake



Okay. Every once in a while I am going to post recipes on here for you to pin onto pinterest. Unlike my other posts, this is not something I found on pinterest that I've tested, but it is a recipe that I can promise you tastes incredible. So, feel free to pin it if you'd like, or make it first and decide from there!

The Best Reeses Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake
1 box devil’s food cake mix
1 small pkg Jello instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups mini chocolate chips (I actually opted not to use these, and it still tasted amazing)

*For Colby's birthday cake I used this recipe + another half of the recipe…that way I ended up with 3 round cakes to stack 3 tiers high. 

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease pans. In a very large bowl or kitchen aid, mix together everything except chocolate chips. Batter will be thick. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour batter into greased cake pans of choice (I prefer using 9-inch round cake pans). For cooking time, I used the cooking times on the back of the devil’s food cake box as a guide and added 10 minutes to whatever it said. Then I did the toothpick check and checked on it every 5 mins after that until it was done. It usually takes around 45 mins for two, 9-inch cake pans.

After my cakes were out of the oven, I immediately dumped them upside down on individual pieces of aluminum foil so they wouldn't sink. I then wrapped them up in the foil and stuck them in the freezer. A couple hours later I took them out, unwrapped them, and stacked them with a layer of frosting between each tier. The cake is much easier to frost if it's frozen. 

After it was stacked I frosted the whole cake in a thin layer of frosting, and then I did a second coat to cover up any chocolatey crumbles that got stuck in the first layer.

Crumble up some reeses and sprinkle them on top, and surround the base with mini reeses cups. Enjoy!!


Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting (this is the buttercream frosting from my previous post with one spoonful of peanut butter added)

Ingredients:
1 cup salted butter
1 T vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar (or icing sugar)
4-5 T coffee cream (18% and up)
1 small spoonful of peanut butter

Directions:
Whip the butter with a paddle beater. Add in the powdered sugar (using a fresh bag makes all the difference–powdered sugar goes stale and you can taste the difference!)
Add in the cream and peanut butter and mix.
Add in the Vanilla and mix until fluffy and thoroughly combined.

Rating:

Difficulty:


6 comments:

  1. So I know I just posted a comment on your other post (buttercream frosting) but I had to tell you that I love this concept for a blog. I recently got suckered into trying the "chick fil a" nuggets that have been floating around pinterest a few nights ago. They were good but I wouldn't have labelled them as "chick fil a" nuggets. Have you seen them too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen those! But I haven't tried them yet. Maybe I'll have to have you write a "guest post" for my blog! I have a feeling there are quite a few recipes on pinterest that won't exactly match up to what they're supposed to taste like... Glad you like the blog idea! I thought it would be kinda fun :)

      Delete
  2. Ok this cake doesn't look legal! There's too much good stuff in it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know about ur blog and is so cute! i'm following u now :) what about following eachother? :)
    www.meryswardrobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing cake !
    cam to visit my blog and if you like we can follow each other! Keep in touch with fashion
    and if you like follow me also on
    FACEBOOK
    CHICISSIMO
    BLOGLOVIN
    LOOKBOOK

    have a good day... KISS KISS JEASMINE
    KEEP IN TOUCH WITH FASHION

    ReplyDelete